You have chosen that the HZ is for you. Here you'll find all the information you need to know about the application procedure. Be sure to follow all instructions regarding applying for a Bachelor programme or to apply as an exchange student.

How to apply for a Bachelor programme

Apply for a Bachelor Programme

Follow the two steps explained below to apply for one of our Bachelor programmes.  We accept applications beginning in October which means you can apply before finishing your secondary education. We advise you to apply as soon as possible so that you have enough time to prepare for your study. 

To study at HZ, you must first apply online via Studielink, the online application system for higher education in the Netherlands. Follow the instructions carefully because you will need to follow the whole procedure for your application request to be complete. 

Application procedure

1. Apply via Studielink

  • Apply for a username and password, so you can register.
  • Log in with your new username and password and apply for one of our Bachelor programmes.

2. Submit required documents to HZ's International Student Administration System

Once you have applied, you will receive an e-mail from our administration system. The e-mail will contain a link to our International Student Administration System. This e-mail will be sent to you within a few days from the date of your application on Studielink. Complete your application by attaching the following documents to your file:

  • A copy of your secondary school certificate, including a transcript of records (list of grades). If you have not yet graduated or have not yet received your diploma, please upload an official recent transcript of records.
  • A copy of your valid passport or ID-card
  • If required, an official English language test (IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge).

All above mentioned documents must be in Dutch, English, French, Spanish or German. If this is not the case, you must upload a translation in one of these languages. Students who have already graduated should upload an official (sworn) translation of their educational background documents.

For students who have not yet graduated a good translation suffices. However, after graduation an official (sworn) translation must be provided. 

If your application file is complete, we will inform you about your acceptance within one week. You will be sent a conditional letter of acceptance, if your records meet the admission requirements.


We advise you to apply before May 1. Closing dates for applications are:

  • June 15, non-EU students
  • August 15, EU students

Because of the visa-procedure the deadline to apply for non-EU students is earlier than the deadline for EU students. 

Visa information

When coming to study from a country outside of the EU, you may need a VISA or other entry document. VISA requirements depend on which nationality you have. The HZ student office will apply for these documents on your behalf after the application process is complete. Students receive a residence permit for the entire duration of their study period up to a maximum of five years. Read more about visa and residence permit.


As soon as you have received your conditional offer to study at HZ, you can start applying for a student room in Vlissingen. Most HZ students live in student accommodation in or near the town centre which is within cycling distance of the HZ. Accommodation varies from single units to three to nine-bedroom apartments with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. Please check the information on accommodation to see how to apply for a student room.
The earlier you apply the better choice you have for finding accommodation that best suits your wishes.

How to apply as an exchange student

Apply as an Exchange student

If you have been selected by your home university to study one or two semesters at the HZ, you may start your application by registering through our online application procedure. Please follow the procedure carefully to make sure your application is registered.

The following documents are required with your application:

Please note that additional immigration fees can be calculated for non-EU exchange students. Read more about study visa and residence permit. 

You are using an outdated browser!

Update your browser to display this website correctly. Update my browser now