Frequently Asked Questions

Last update: 2 September (finances)

We closely follow the developments. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions with more information. The information can be adjusted when the RIVM or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs adjust their advice.

Go directly to FAQ for:

Steps from June-September

What is possible when at HZ?

We notify you about the steps that we expect to take in the upcoming period. We have implemented the social distancing of 1,5 meters in a strict and serious way to ensure all our students and staff members’ safety. Find our planning here.

Regulations at HZ

What is the HZ policy?

HZ follows the recommendations of the ‘Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu (RIVM)’ (National Institute for Public Health and the Environment) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. View the most recent RIVM information.

What are the general rules?

Please remember

  • Keep a 1.5 meters distance;
  • Wash your hands often;
  • Follow the signs;
  • Do you have a cold? Stay at home;
  • Are you or a housemate short of breath or has a fever? Stay at home!
What measures did HZ take?

HZ does everything possible to establish a safe university of applied sciences. Various measures have been implemented in the HZ buildings in Vlissingen and Middelburg, with which we follow the RIVM guidelines. We have taken additional hygiene and logistics measures. We will adhere to as few ‘contact moments’ between people as possible and to maximum group sizes. This means that less space is available and also why a large part of the education continues to be offered online. 

Are you coming to HZ soon? Then please prepare yourself well. We do everything we can to ensure your visit is safe. Watch our tour about the measurements.

Do I have to wear a face mask?

Wearing a mask is an individual choice, you are not required to wear a mask. If you feel more comfortable wearing one and you don't have one yourself? Masks are available at the receptions of both locations.

Education and research at HZ

Will classes and research continue at the HZ?

HZ will continue to provide distance education as much as possible in the coming period. From 15 June, limited educational activities may again take place on location: practical lessons, exams, tests, and the supervision of vulnerable students as far as this cannot be done online. From September, education will be offered online and 'on campus'.

Are the HZ buildings open?

The HZ still requests students and staff to work and study at home, unless it it necessary to go to the HZ. 

HZ’s doors are partly open since June. First for the graduation presentations of our students, for employees and later also for supervision, exams, and practical lessons.

Read more about the opening hours during the summer.

Can I travel to HZ by public transport?

Yes, but only use public transport for necessary trips. Educational activities that are planned at the HZ can be seen as necessary. HZ has made agreements with regional public transport organizations that limit travel during rush hours. As of 1 June, wearing a non-medical mask on the bus, train, tram and metro and on the ferries is mandatory. Find more information here.

Prospective Students

Coming to the Netherlands

Where can I find information about access to the Netherlands?

The corona crisis may have consequences for your application or stay in the Netherlands. On the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service you can find the latest information about these consequences.

What are the corona regulations in the Netherlands?

Please read more about the Dutch regulations at the website of our Government.

Should I self-quarantine on arrival in the Netherlands?

If you travel from a country or a region that is listed as requiring self-isolation on your arrival in the Netherlands, you are strongly advised to self-quarantine for 14 days, even if you do not have any symptoms or if you have tested negative for COVID-19. 

Please check on this website if you have to self-quarantine on your arrival, what you should do and not do during your isolation and what to do if you have symptoms.

We will inform your study coach who will make sure you will receive all information and start attending classes online. 


What are the deadlines for application?

We still accept and review applications as usual. 

Deadline to apply:

For EU students: 1 August 2020
For Non-EU students: 15 June 2020 

Yet, we would advise you to apply as soon as possible to be able to book your student accommodation on time. 

My final exams are cancelled, will HZ still accept my diploma?

The cancellation of your final exams does not have an impact on your admission as long as you obtain your diploma on the basis of other assessments. 

My final exams are postponed to July, will I still be able to start at the end of August?

If you are a EU student, as long as your results are announced by 15 August, this will indeed be possible. If you are a non-EU student, you will have to differ to the next available intake.  

I cannot take an English test because test centres are closed/fully booked. What can I do?

For your application to HZ,  it is not necessary to have already passed the English test. You can indicate that you have not yet taken the test. Once your results are available, please submit them according to the instructions in your conditional Letter or Acceptance. Also note that some students are exempted from taking an official test. Please check our website for the exceptions.

Deadline for submitting the test:

For EU students: 15 August 2020 
For Non-EU students: 15 June 2020 

To meet the deadline, we encourage you to take the TOEFL home edition test. We accept this test as an alternative to taking TOEFL at a test centre. You can check if this online English test is available for you on the ETS website.

What is the deadline for submitting my final results and the English test?

Deadline for submitting your final results and English test:

For EU students: 15 August 2020 
For Non-EU students: 15 June 2020 

When will the visa application start?

Please check the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs at which Dutch Embassy you will have to request/pick-up your visa. Make sure that you are able to make an appointment at this Embassy. Also check the possibilities of booking a flight to the Netherlands. It is you own responsibility to check these issues in these hectic pandemic times.

What if I have to cancel my application? Will I get refunded?

A- Tuition fees:
EU students can cancel their application without any financial repercussion, if done before 1 September 2020. 

Non-EU students need to transfer their tuition fees and costs of living in June, so that we can start with the visa application. If you cancel your application by 1 September 2020, the total amount will be refunded with the exception of the cost for the visa application, i.e. €174

B- Deposit for your student accommodation:
If you cancel your booking with Villex or APV housing by July, your deposit will be refunded. (with the exception of 65€ of administration fees retained by Villex). Please check with the student housing corporations APV housing and Villex. 

Should I already book a student room?

If you have received your conditional Letter of Acceptance, yes, definitely, we would strongly advise you to do so. Check our website to book a room/studio with APV or Villex.

Current students

Study progress

How can I reduce consequences?

We understand that students would like to know more about their study progress. The HZ is doing everything they can to reduce negative consequences to a minimum and to solve any problems altogether that might arise within the upcoming period. When any additional information is made available it will be communicated via the study programmes. 

What do the measures mean for my tests?

The planned tests and exams will continue, but in a different (online) form. For each test it will be examined whether, in what form and at what time this can take place. All students will be informed by the programme about the time and form. If you have any questions about this, please contact your study programme.

Are there possibilities for an extra resit of one or more tests?

Yes, opportunities are created for this. Due to the measures relating to the corona virus, the Examination Board will deal flexibly with requests for an extra resit of tests. To be eligible for an extra resit, the Examination Board must receive a written request. This written request must be submitted by the student and must meet the following conditions:

  • The request is submitted after April 24, 2020 and relates to the academic year 2019/2020
  • The second test opportunity for the test was on or after March 12 and is before September 1, 2020
  • Student did not participate in the second test opportunity for the test, or a grade lower than 5.5 was obtained for the test
  • The request was submitted before June 5, 2020 if the second test opportunity took place on or after March 12, but before April 24, 2020
  • The request was submitted within 6 weeks after the second test opportunity if it took place on or after April 24, but before September 1, 2020

It is possible to submit a request for several tests. 

Can the binding recommendation be postponed?

Students are normally advised at the end of the first year whether, depending on the number of credits they obtained, whether they can continue studying in the next study year. Due to the measures surrounding the coronavirus, students may experience delays. HZ has decided that: 

  • For all current first-year students who do not meet the propaedeutic standard of 45 ECTS at the end of this academic year (2019-2020), the study recommendation will be postponed until the end of their second academic year on August 31, 2021.
  • For students who have already received a deferred study advice at the end of the 2018-2019 academic year, and who do not yet meet the propaedeutic standard of 45 ECTS at the end of this academic year, the recommendation will also be postponed until 31 August 2021.

HZ advises all students to obtain as many credits as possible in the near future, so that you can ultimately meet all the requirements and prevent study delays.

I have a study delay. Can I start my minor now?

To prevent further study delay, the HZ has decided to abolish the condition for participation in the minor for the academic year 2020-2021. This means that you can also participate in a minor without having completed your propaedeutic year or with less than 30 credits in the main phase. For more information about this, please contact your study career coach or the minor owner.

What about the transition from bachelor to master?

A national agreement has been made with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) to prevent students from being delayed next academic year because they have been unable to complete one or more courses. Universities of applied sciences and universities are given the opportunity to deviate from the entry requirement that a bachelor's programme must be completed prior to participation in a master's programme.

Internships and graduation 

I am doing an internship, which guidelines should I follow?

If you are doing an internship or are in your graduating process, follow the company’s guidelines. This also applies if you do an internship in, for example, a hospital. If you have any questions or doubts, consult your HZ study programme contact person. 

International travelling 

Can I do my internship or study abroad next study year?

Based upon the information currently available, the Management Board of HZ has decided to NOT cancel the study or internship abroad semester for the HZ-students. At the same time HZ, as a rule, follows the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Although currently most countries in the world have the ‘code orange or red’, indicating a negative travel advice, we are hopeful that this will change to ‘positive’ (yellow or green) over the coming time, at least for the Schengen countries in the EU

If, at the time of your departure, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides a positive travel advice for the country where you will study or do the internship abroad you are allowed to go abroad.  

You decide - uncertain circumstances 
The above means that you are the person to decide whether you will go ahead with your plans and preparations to go abroad, taking this travel advice into account. Of course you should realize that this travel advice is subject to change AND that the development and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, remain unpredictable.

To take into account when making your decision: 

  • First of all: how realistic is it that you will be able to travel to your destination? 
  • Does the internship company offer you the opportunity to postpone  your internship to the spring 2021 semester?
  • If the internship company where you plan to go offers you to work remotely: will you get the intercultural experience you had expected? The latter is of course an essential part your semester abroad.
  • If you postpone your internship abroad to the spring of 2021: is there an alternative available for the upcoming semester? 

If you decide to go ahead with your plans to go abroad:

  • Make a ‘plan B’ in case your internship semester is cancelled last minute
  • Plan B: minor instead? Can you still register for a minor for the coming semester?
  • As soon as your program coordinator / Study Coach (SLC) will have an overview of your plans, they will discuss with you whether there are alternatives.

We advise you to not buy a ticket yet, or to buy a ticket that you can cancel. 

Can travel advice change?

Yes. For the most current information check the travel advice by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

What are the contact details of the International Office?
  • Students abroad - study Students in the Netherlands - minor Johanetta van Wanrooij,, (+31) (0) 118-489118 (calls will be automatically transferred to a private phone)
  • Students abroad - internship/minor Astrid Umbgrove,, (+31) (0) 118-489747 (calls will be automatically transferred to a private phone) 
  • General


How can I receive an official document, e.g. my diploma?

To request an official document, you can send an e-mail to

How can I receive a proof of enrolment?

If you meet all enrolment requirements and the payment of you tuition fee has been settled, you can ask for the proof of enrolment anytime. To request this proof of enrolment, you can send an e-mail to


Do I have to keep paying tuition?

HZ has received questions about lowering or temporarily stopping the payment of tuition fees. We understand that the coronavirus has a great impact, but the tuition fees must continue to be paid. Tuition still takes place and is given via digital means. In addition, the tuition fees are set by the government and HZ is not authorised to make a choice or change to this. We would like to refer you to the website of Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO), where you will find the possibilities offered by the government for study financing and tuition fee credit.

Am I eligible for a financial compensation for tuition, course fees or tuition fees?


Anyone obtaining their higher professional degree or master’s degree in the period September 2020 to January 2021 will receive a one-off compensation in the first quarter of 2021, amounting to a maximum of 3 months of tuition/course/or tuition fees. For a student in higher education, that would amount to a one-off compensation of € 535. N.B. This regulation applies to students from the Netherlands and to students within the EU.

What do I have to do to receive this financial compensation (of tuition, course fees or tuition fees)?
If your details are known to DUO, you do not have to do anything, and DUO will automatically transfer the compensation to you. If data is missing, DUO will contact you to request this data. You will receive the amount no later than March 31, 2021.

​Am I eligible for a compensation because my extra basic grant or supplementary grant will be cancelled?

All students whose entitlement to a supplementary grant expires in June, July, August or September 2020 are eligible for a compensation. For higher education students with a supplementary grant, this amounts to € 1,500.

What do I have to do to receive the compensation (because the extra basic grant or additional grant is cancelled)?
If you qualify for a compensation, you do not have to do anything. DUO ensures that you automatically receive the amount in your account. You will receive the amount no later than September 30, 2020.

As an EU student, I won’t be able to meet the 56 hours requirement due to the coronavirus. What to do?

DUO is lenient about the 56 hours requirement, for as long as the corona measures apply. Is it not possible for you to meet the 56 hours requirement? Then DUO will look at the hours you worked before ánd after the corona measures.

Health and hygiene

How is the Covid-19 situation in Middelburg and Vlissingen?

Our region Zeeland is one of the Dutch regions that are the least affected by the coronavirus. You can follow the current situation on the national site :

I have mild health problems

Stay home and do not come to HZ as soon as you suffer from mild symptoms such as a cold and/or cough. 

This advice applies to everyone, to students and employees from all provinces. You do not have to report sick but you must report your absence to your study coordinator or manager. You can study at home or work from home.

I have serious health problems

If you have serious symptoms such as a cold, cough and/or fever? Stay home and call in sick. If the symptoms get worse, contact your doctor or the GGD by telephone.

Students report sick to the study programme coordinator. Employees report sick to their manager. 

Are you an international student? Please also inform the international office about your situation by sending an email to

What can I do myself?

Above all, stay calm. And, as always, take care of personal hygiene. The most important measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are very simple:

  • Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
  • Cough and sneeze in the inside of your elbow.
  • Use tissue paper and throw it away immediately.
  • Wash or disinfect your hands after coughing or sneezing.
  • Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available.
  • Clean and disinfect regularly objects and surfaces that you touch.
  • Stay at home when you are sick.
  • Avoid social contacts
  • Work at home as much as possible
  • Do not shake hands
I am an international student and I need a doctor, what to do?

Read the information on the website of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM). It informs you when to call a GP (‘house doctor’) Do you have any doubts whether you should contact a GP, then call the Municipal Public Health Services (GGD). The number you can call with your questions about  COVID-19 is: 0800-1351.

 If you need a General Practitioner (GP/ family doctor):  in the International Students Survival Guide (chapter 1) you find the necessary telephone numbers. Please also inform the international office about your situation by sending an email to

Can I get a coronatest?

You can get tested to see if you are infected with coronavirus. Read more about testing for COVID-19.

More information

How is the communication about the corona virus organized?

HZ monitors the situation carefully and anticipates possible scenarios. New developments are communicated as soon as possible via the website. The FAQ is also regularly updated. If necessary, we also communicate via e-mail and social media.

Who can I contact when I have a question?

You can contact Bert Schollema, director Internationalisation, by e-mail: or by telephone on 06-22205676. 

More information about the Netherlands?