What should you take into account as an employee during this time? Read more in these frequently asked questions and answers, divided into categories:

For other questions you can contact your manager, P&OO or look at the frequently asked questions.

Working in corona time

May I work on location at HZ?

To prevent the spread of the virus and to protect students and staff, we urge all employees to work at home, unless it is unavoidable.

Teaching staff will be on location more often than support staff. However, education support staff may also work on location for certain reasons. We appeal to your own responsibility and consultation with your team and/or supervisor.

May I do research at HZ?

The practice-oriented research by students and staff may continue at HZ’s physical location, provided it is in keeping with the general instructions of the RIVM and the GGD. If access to the laboratories is desired, you can contact the study programme coordinator or the coordinator of the research group.

Are there extra online facilities at HZ for teaching or meeting?
  • Recently, a number of meeting rooms at HZ location Edisonweg and project rooms in Het Groene Woud have been provided with extra AV resources (tripod with webcam). With this we have created extra options to be able to teach an online class or hold an online meeting in a quiet environment.
  • Of course, it is still possible to schedule a physical meeting in these areas, taking into account the number of people allowed. These meeting rooms can be reserved via the self service portal -> new reservation -> reservation meeting rooms.
  • From now on you do not longer have to contact the scheduling office to make a reservation for these rooms. If your meeting is cancelled, you must cancel the reservation at the self service portal -> my reservations -> find the reservation you want to cancel -> click at the reservation and cancel at the bottom at the right of the reservation.
  • The AV equipment must remain in the rooms and must not be taken with you.
  • If you have any questions regarding the use of the AV equipment, please contact the AV service, via avdienst@hz.nl or telephone number 9308.
  • For other questions, please contact Martine van Ommen, facilities team leader via m.van.ommen@hz.nl or telephone number 9789.
I live and work in another country, which regulations apply to me?

We ask employees who live abroad and who live/work in an area with code orange or code red to only work from home, as long as this code applies.

Conversely, restrictions may also apply due to the home country after a trip from the Netherlands. For example, the Belgian government is currently (1 September) advising travellers from, among others, the province of Zeeland to undergo preventive testing upon arrival in Belgium and to go into self-quarantine for 14 days. This is another reason to work from home.

If you live or work abroad and this takes longer than a week, please contact your manager and the P&OO department (poo&hz.nl). At the manager's request, the P&OO department will investigate any tax and social security consequences.

​I want to go with my students to an orange travel area for educational activities, is that allowed?

Short visits taking the RIVM guidelines into account can continue, if strictly necessary. An educational activity is strictly necessary if no alternative can be offered, with the result that students are delayed in their studies. In addition, prior permission must be obtained from the domain director for visits to an orange travel area.

So is the activity strictly necessary? No, then find an alternative.
Yes, ask permission from the domain director.

​I travel with a group in the HZ busses, how many people are allowed?

The HZ-vans can accommodate 8 to 9 people, including the driver. A face mask is compulsory for all passengers. The 1.5 metres does not have to be kept. If necessary, masks are available at reception.

Human Resources

What about working from home and my annual task?

HZ has asked you to work from home as much as possible the first part of 2021. The standard annual task has not been adjusted. You can mark the hours at home as hours worked on your work and leave card. Even if you cannot (fully) work from home (for example catering employees) you can record the hours as worked on your work and leave card according to your normal work pattern.

What expense allowances are available for employees?

Due to our new way of working, a different approach to the existing employee allowance schemes was desired. The basic principle is to meet the costs you incur as an employee for:

  • commuting movements: if you live further than 10 km from HZ
  • working from home: for all employees

You can find more information on HZ Portal:

  • An explanation of both schemes
  • The commuting expenses scheme
  • The working for home allowance scheme
How do I report sick?

You must continue to report being sick to your manager or the Personnel portfolio holder. Your manager will report the sickness to P&OO. In this situation it is important to know what your complaints are, so we count on you to be prepared to provide us with relevant (corona) information.

Where will my appointment with the absenteeism consultant take place?

Do you have an appointment for the consultation hour with the absenteeism consultant? Then this will not take place at the Edisonweg. The appointment will take place online or by telephone.

How do I contact the Human Resources Department (P&OO)

The P&OO department works partly from home. However, because part of the education continues physically, colleagues are more physically present than during the previous lockdown. There is at least one colleague present every day on the Edisonweg. If you do find yourself standing in front of a closed door, please call or e-mail. In Middelburg we are there on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

You can reach the P&OO department by e-mail at poo@hz.nl and for urgent matters you can call the regular telephone numbers.

Health complaints

I have tested positive, what now?

Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19? Contribute to a safe college of higher education:

  • Take the quarantine and precepts you are given seriously.
  • Report it to your superior as soon as possible.
I am in quarantine, what now?

We trust that you - if necessary – put yourself in (self)quarantine according to the guidelines that apply in the Netherlands. Do you need to be quarantined due to a trip from an orange or red area, contamination with COVID-19 or a contact investigation? Please report this to your manager.

Corona documentation

Where can I find HZ corona documentation?

HZ documents and protocols related to the HZ corona policy can be found on the HZ Portal.