Current students

What do you have to take into account as a student? Read more in the frequently asked questions and answers, divided into the following categories:

For other questions, please contact your programme coordinator or read the general FAQs on the HZ website. Your own programme will also inform you about specific programme matters.

Lessons and exams

How does the study advice work in the academic year 2020-2021 in connection with the corona crisis?

Students who do not comply with the binding study advice (bsa) of the programme because they have been delayed due to the corona virus, will be granted a one-year postponement.

When will you receive a negative (binding) advice?
Do you obtain less than 45 of the 60 credits of the propaedeutic phase? Then you will receive a negative (binding) advice. In that case, you will unfortunately have to discontinue your study programme. Read more about the postponement of this advice here.

For full-time students

Have you started a full-time programme in academic year 2020-2021?
If you started your study in the academic year 2020-2021 and do not meet the standard of 45 credits at the end of the academic year 2020-2021, the study advice will be postponed for one year. You will be able to move on to your second year and you will be given the opportunity to earn the credits no later than 31 August 2022.

Have you started a full-time programme in academic year 2019-2020?
If you started your study in academic year 2019-2020 and did not meet the standard of 45 credits at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, the study advice will be postponed until the end of your second year of study. You will be given the opportunity to earn the credits by 31 August 2021 at the latest.

For part-time and dual students

Have you started a part-time or dual programme in academic year 2020-2021?
If you started your study in the academic year 2020-2021 and do not meet the standard of 45 credits at the end of the academic year 2021-2022, the study advice will be postponed for one year. You will be able to continue your study programme and you will be given the opportunity to earn the credits by 31 August 2023 at the latest.

Have you started a part-time or dual programme in 2019-2020?
If you started your study in the academic year 2019-2020 and do not meet the standard of 45 credits by the end of the academic year 2020-2021, the study advice will be postponed once by one academic year. You will be given the opportunity to earn the credits no later than 31 August 2022.

For full-time, part-time and dual students

  • It may be that there are specific rules that apply for you. Please let your SLC or OLC inform you well about this, you are responsible for this yourself.
  • No later than 15 March and 31 July of the year in which you have to obtain your marks, you will be informed about your study progress. If necessary, you will then receive a warning for a negative binding advice. Detailed information about the study advice can be found in the Course and Examination Regulations (HZ-wide) and implementation regulations (programme-specific).
  • We can understand that you may still have questions. Your SLC or OLC can provide you with further information.
What does the measures mean for my tests and exams?

Tests and exams will continue, but in a different (online) form. All students will be informed by the programme about the time and form. If you have any questions about this, please contact your study programme.

Are there possibilities for an extra resit?

Yes, opportunities were created for this. Due to the measures relating to the corona virus, the Examination Board will deal flexibly with requests for an extra resit of tests. To be eligible for an extra resit, the Examination Board must receive a written request. This written request must be submitted by the student and must meet the following conditions:

  • The request is submitted after April 24, 2020 and relates to the academic year 2019/2020
  • The second test opportunity for the test was on or after March 12 and is before September 1, 2020
  • Student did not participate in the second test opportunity for the test, or a grade lower than 5.5 was obtained for the test
  • The request was submitted before June 5, 2020 if the second test opportunity took place on or after March 12, but before April 24, 2020
  • The request was submitted within 6 weeks after the second test opportunity if it took place on or after April 24, but before September 1, 2020

It is possible to submit a request for several tests.

Can I still start with my minor with a study delay?

To prevent further study delay, the HZ has decided to abolish the condition for participation in the minor for the academic year 2020-2021. This means that you can also participate in a minor without having completed your propaedeutic year or with less than 30 credits in the main phase. For more information about this, please contact your study career coach or the minor owner.


I am doing an internship, which guidelines should I follow?

To internships in the Netherlands, the rules that apply to the sector/branch where the internship is conducted are leading. If you have any questions or doubts, consult your HZ study programme contact person.

Going abroad

Can I still go abroad for an internship or study?

Based upon the information currently available, the Management Board of HZ has decided to NOT cancel the study or internship abroad semester for the HZ-students. At the same time HZ, as a rule, follows the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Although currently a lot of countries in the world have a code orange (only neccessary travels) or red (negative advice), this can change to code yellow or green (positive advice) over the coming time, or vice versa.

If, at the time of your departure, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides a positive travel advice -yellow or green- for the country where you will study or do the internship abroad you are allowed to go abroad. However, when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs assigns a country code orange, you decide.

Code orange: you decide 
The above means that you are the person to decide whether you will go ahead with your plans and preparations to go abroad, taking this travel advice into account. The moment your destination has the code orange, the decision to leave is yours. However, when you make this decision we will ask you to fill in and sign a disclaimer, the so-called Own Risk Declaration. The HZ-International Office staff will send this to you by email. 

Of course you should realize that this travel advice is subject to change AND that the development and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, remain unpredictable. To take into account when making your decision: 

  • First of all: how realistic is it that you will be able to travel to your destination? 
  • What is the quality of health care in the country of destination?
  • Should something happen, will you be able to travel home? Some destinations can be reached by train and car when airspaces are closed down, others are not.
  • If the internship company where you plan to go offers you to work remotely or if courses are offered fully on-line during your Study Abroad minor: will you get the intercultural experience you had expected? The latter is of course an essential part your semester abroad.

If you decide to go ahead with your plans to go abroad

  • Make a ‘plan B’ in case your internship semester is cancelled last minute.
    For the Study Abroad minor: this will be a minor at HZ.
    For an internship abroad: contact your program coordinator / Study Coach (SLC) to discuss the alternatives (internship in the Netherlands?). 
  • Always discuss your plans with your Study Coach (SLC)
  • As soon as your program coordinator/Study Coach (SLC) will have an overview of your plans, they will discuss with you whether there are alternatives.
  • Make sure you have taken out an insurance policy that covers, among other things, medical expenses related to covid-19, and if yes, is 100% of the actual incurred cost covered (especially outside EU).
  • Contact your travel insurance to check which costs – also those related to covid-19 are covered.

We advise you to not yet make any investments, not buy a ticket yet, or to buy a ticket that you can cancel. 

Can I travel?

Travel is not recommended unless strictly necessary. As HZ we do follow the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

If you are travelling abroad, first check the travel advice for that country on or in the Foreign Affairs Travel App. In the case of a country with colour code orange, travellers are advised to carefully consider whether your trip is really necessary at the moment. Also bear in mind that every country has measures in place against the spread of the coronavirus. Do you develop complaints that resemble corona during your trip? Report to a local doctor's office. Do you get complaints similar to corona when you return home? Stay at home and get tested. 

Can travel advice change?

Yes. For the most current information check the travel advice by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

What should I do if I come (back) to the Netherlands from a risk area?

If you come to the Netherlands from a high-risk area, it is urgently advised to put yourself in quarantine. This means that you are temporarily not allowed to leave your house or place of residence. In addition, the urgent advice is to avoid contact with family members and third parties around you. 

Do you need to be quarantined because of a trip from an orange or red area, an infection or a contact investigation? Then report this to your study programme coordinator. It will when be decided how you can follow the lectured so that you do not experience any unnecessary delays.

What are the contact details of the International Office?
  • For internships, Astrid Umbgrove, mail or call (+31) (0) 118-489747
  • For study abroad, Johanetta van Wanrooij, mail or call (+31) (0) 118-489118 
  • General:


Do I have to keep paying tuition?

We understand that the coronavirus has a great impact, but the tuition fees must continue to be paid. Tuition still takes place and is given via digital means. In addition, the tuition fees are set by the government and HZ is not authorised to make a choice or change to this. We would like to refer you to the website of Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO), where you will find the possibilities offered by the government for study financing and tuition fee credit.

Am I eligible for a financial compensation for tuition, course fees or tuition fees?

This is for all students who were enrolled in a government-funded study programme for at least 1 month in 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 and who obtained an AD or Bachelor’s degree in the period 1 September 2020 to 31 January 2021.

The fee is € 535. This is carried out automatically for those who have (received) a student grant or tuition fee credit.

For students who have not received funding from us, it is important that, when you returning to your home country, you have your addresses registered with the municipality. Information may still be collected from the institutions. It is important that you provide us with your bank account number. This can be done via My DUO or otherwise the form below can be downloaded.


​Am I eligible for a compensation because my extra basic grant or supplementary grant will be cancelled?

This is for students who no longer received their supplementary grant as from June, July, August or September 2020 because it had been used up (so they were only entitled to an interest-bearing loan).

You already received an automatic message about this and in September and November we paid € 1500,- as an allowance in case of an HBO enrolment. The form can be mailed to Everyone must have been notified about this before April 1, 2021. If this is not the case, you can make an application for this as from April.


I am in financial difficulties as a result of the measures against the corona virus. What can I do?

If you are currently experiencing financial problems due to the coronavirus and you receive a student grant, we advise you to check the options that DUO offers in this corona crisis. You can find information about this on the DUO site with questions and answers.

If you are not eligible for DUO, please contact your student counsellor to discuss other options.

Will I get extra travel months because of the corona virus?

Yes, you will receive 3 extra travel months.To compensate students in higher education, any student studying at a school for Higher Professional Education (HBO) or university who used their right to student finance in March 2020, will receive 3 extra travel months. The student still has to be enrolled in a course that makes him eligible for student finance.

As an EU student, I won’t be able to meet the 56 hours requirement due to the coronavirus. What to do?

DUO is lenient about the 56 hours requirement, for as long as the corona measures apply. Is it not possible for you to meet the 56 hours requirement? Then DUO will look at the hours you worked before ánd after the corona measures.

I incurred extra (travel) costs because I had to terminate my internship or study abroad. Can I get compensation?

We understand that cancelling an internship or study and that incurring extra costs are disappointment, but for the time being the HZ does not provide any compensation. If you do have any questions about your personal situation, you can contact Bert Schollema, director of internationalisation, via