Last update: 15 February

We closely follow the developments. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions with more information. The information can be adjusted when the RIVM or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs adjust their advice.

Go to:

For specific questions, go directly to FAQ for:

Education and research at HZ

Will classes continue on location at HZ?

As a result of the lockdown, almost all education takes place online, with the exception of practical education. If necessary, you will be informed about this by your study programme.

A part of the lessons will be on campus. However, online education and working from home remains the standard. We work and study online where we can, on campus where we have to. How often you will be on campus depends, among other things, on your study programme (think of the number of practical lessons) and also on which year you are in.

Can I work on my research at HZ?

As a result of the lockdown, research activities can only be carried out at the HZ locations if implementation at home is not possible.

The practice-based research by students and staff may be carried out at the location of the HZ, provided it is in accordance with the general instructions of the National Institute for Public Health and the Health Service (RIVM) and the Municipal Health Service (GGD). If access to the laboratories is desired, please contact the programme coordinator or the research group coordinator.

On location

Are the HZ buildings open?

As a result of the lockdown, lessons will be given online. Employees work at home, unless working at the HZ is necessary.

Yes, but the HZ still requests students and staff to work and study at home, unless it it necessary to go to the HZ.

What measures did HZ take?

HZ does everything possible to establish a safe university of applied sciences. Various measures have been implemented in the HZ buildings in Vlissingen and Middelburg, with which we follow the RIVM guidelines. We will adhere to as few ‘contact moments’ between people as possible and to maximum group sizes. This means that less space is available and also why a large part of the education continues to be offered online.

We have also taken additional hygiene measures at both locations:

  • Hand hygiene
    At various points you can disinfect your hands. Disinfectants are also available in all rooms and offices.
  • Extra cleaning rounds
    Both locations will be cleaned extra.
  • Ventilation
    The Edisonweg will be daily ventilated. Two hours before the opening of the school all windows will be opened. Also during opening hours, we ask you to keep the windows and doors open as much as possible in order to ventilate as well as possible. Het Groene Woud has a modern ventilation system. This system is switched on two hours before the opening of the building. We also adjusted the humidity of the system.

You will also come across coronacoaches in the buildings to ensure the health of our students and staff. They help you to comply with the rules. Set a good example yourself and speak to others when necessary.

What should I take in to account when I visit the HZ?

Are you coming to HZ soon? We do everything we can to ensure your visit is safe. Please follow the rules at HZ, because only together we can ensure a safe environment.

  • Wear a face mask
  • Keep distance
    Keep a 1.5 metres distance from each other;
  • Follow the signs
    locations have walking routes and signage. Please follow these signs;
  • Wash your hands often
  • Any complaints?
    Do you have any Covid symptoms? Stay home.
    Do you have a fever and/or a cough? Then your roommates and/or your family will stay home as well. Protect yourself and others and get tested. You can make an appointment via 0800-1202 or via coronatest.nl. The test is free of charge.

Watch our tour about the measurements.

How can I best travel to HZ?

Bring your own transport as much as possible. Also make use of the (partial) bicycle if possible. HZ asks you to only use public transport for necessary trips. Educational activities that are planned at the HZ can be seen as necessary.

Wearing a non-medical mask on the bus, train, tram and metro and on the ferries is mandatory. Find more information here.

What if I prefer not to come to HZ?

If you do not want to come to HZ for health reasons or the fact that you are living with someone from the risk groups, please report this to your study programme coordinator (students) or manager (staff). Together you will find a solution if this is possible.

Health and hygiene

What can I do myself?

The most important measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are very simple:

  • Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
  • Cough and sneeze in the inside of your elbow.
  • Use tissue paper and throw it away immediately.
  • Wash or disinfect your hands after coughing or sneezing.
  • Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available.
  • Clean and disinfect regularly objects and surfaces that you touch.
  • Work at home as much as possible
  • Do not shake hands
  • Keep 1,5 meters distance of each other
  • Wear a face mask
I have health problems, what to do?

Do you have symptoms such as a cold, cough, fever or sudden loss of smell or taste? Stay home. Do you have a fever and/or a cough? Then your roommates and/or your family will stay home as well. Protect yourself and others and get tested. You can make an appointment via 0800-1202 or via coronatest.nl. The test is free of charge.

Report it directly to the HZ if you are suspected of corona infection and also report sick.

  • Are you a student? Report it to the study programme coordinator. 
  • Are you an international student? Please also inform the international office by internationaloffice@hz.nl
  • Are you a staff member? Report it to your manager. 
What should I do in case I tested positive?

Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19? Contribute to a safe UAS:

  1. Take the quarantine and instructions you receive seriously.
  2. Report it to your programme coordinator or manager a.s.a.p. Are you an international student? Please report it also to internationaloffice@hz.nl
  3. If applicable: report it to your accommodation company such as APV or Villex.
What should I do in case of quarantine?

We trust that - if necessary - you will go into (home) quarantine according to the guidelines that apply in the Netherlands. We would like to recommend you to self-quarantine on your arrival if you travel from a country or region that is listed on the government website. Even if you do not have any symptoms or if you have been tested negative, you are strongly advised to self-quarantine. You will find all instructions, recommendations on the above-mentioned website. We trust you will follow these guidelines and help us keep a safe environment at HZ. 

  • Are you a student? Please inform your programme coordinator and internationaloffice@hz.nl. Arrangements will be made with you about attending classes so that you do not run into unnecessary delays.
  • Are you a staffe member? Report to your manager for further coordination.
I am an international student and I need a doctor, what to do?

Read the information on the website of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM). It informs you when to call a GP (‘house doctor’) Do you have any doubts whether you should contact a GP, then call the Municipal Public Health Services (GGD). The number you can call with your questions about  COVID-19 is: 0800-1351.

If you need a General Practitioner (GP/ family doctor):  in the International Students Survival Guide you find the necessary telephone numbers. Please also inform the international office about your situation by sending an email to internationaloffice@hz.nl

Can I get a coronatest?

You can get tested to see if you are infected with coronavirus. Read more about testing for COVID-19.

How is the Covid-19 situation in Middelburg and Vlissingen?

Our region Zeeland is one of the Dutch regions that are the least affected by the coronavirus. You can follow the current situation on the national site:  https://www.rivm.nl/en

Face masks

Wearing a face mask is mandatory within the HZ locations. We can imagine that you have some questions about this measure. Read the most important information here.

Does everyone have to wear a face mask?

Yes, this rule applies to everyone inside the building: students, staff, and visitors.

May I now keep less than 1.5 meters distance when I wear a face mask?

No, the 1.5-meter measure continues to apply, despite wearing a face mask.

If I am studying alone in a public space, do I also have to wear a face mask?

Yes, even then the face mask is mandatory.

Is a face mask mandatory in offices, meeting rooms, project rooms or closed (student) workplaces?

Wearing a face mask is not mandatory there when you sit behind your desk. The areas are arranged according to the 1.5-meter measure. If the 1.5 meters distance cannot be maintained properly while walking in these areas, wearing a face mask is mandatory.

Do I have to wear a face mask when I am in the Atrium or the restaurant?

In the Atrium (Vlissingen) and the restaurant (Middelburg) you must wear a face mask. As soon as you sit down at a table, the face mask may be removed.

Do I have to wear a face mask in the labs or practice rooms?

Yes, you do have to wear a face mask. If you have any questions about this, please contact your lecturer.

A face mask is not mandatory in the classrooms, but what if a 1.5-meter distance is not possible while walking around?

When you sit a face mask is not mandatory. The classrooms are set up with the 1.5-meter measure in place. In situations in a classroom where the 1.5 meters cannot be properly maintained, wearing a face mask is mandatory. Consider, for example, walking in and out of the classroom past the tables of fellow students. It is the task of the lecturer to ensure that the distance is kept in the classroom or that face masks are worn. 

May I come to HZ with corona-like complaints now that I am wearing a face mask?

You must continue to follow the RIVM guidelines in case of complaints. Check here whether or not you can come to HZ (link).

Does HZ have face masks available?

We ask students and staff to bring their own face masks. HZ has a limited stock available at the reception desks in case you accidentally forgot yours. Note: if they are gone, they are gone!

If students/staff refuse to wear face masks, are they welcome?

We want to welcome all employees and students. However, wearing a face mask is a formal obligation. Unfortunately, students and staff who refuse to wear face masks are not welcome in the buildings. Anyone who has forgotten his/her face mask can get one at our reception desks (gone = gone).

How is the rule enforced?

We hope this will not be necessary, but students or employees who are not wearing their face masks will be spoken to. We also call on everyone to address each other in a friendly manner. Together we can work towards a safe university of applied sciences.

I have a ‘medical indication’, can I get an exception to the obligation of wearing a face mask?

If you have a medical indication, you may be granted an exception for wearing a face mask and for following the walking routes. As a student you can report this to your student counsellor, as an employee you can report this to your manager.