Frequently asked questions

Do I need to have a didactic certificate to apply for a position as lecturer?

A didactic certificate or teacher training certificate is not always necessary. We do, however, like to work with people who have work experience at university or master’s level in the professional practice. Are you going to work with us as a lecturer for a longer period? Then you will have to follow an internal training programme. During this programme you can obtain a didactic certificate.

I am an experienced teacher, lecturer or tutor, can I apply?

Certainly! We welcome new colleagues with didactic experience wholeheartedly. Your knowledge and experience can be added value to our education team. Check our vacancy page for current vacancies.

Do I need to have a master’s degree to apply for a teaching position?

In most cases, a completed master’s or university education is indeed a requirement. This will be stated in the job description. Have you almost completed your master’s degree? Then you may already apply. For several vacancies, a completed HBO education is sufficient. We may expect you to obtain a master’s degree in due course. Moreover, as a new HZ lecturer, you must always follow our internal training programme.

Can I also apply with a foreign diploma?

Within the European Union, guidelines have been drawn up for the mutual recognition of diplomas. All information about this can be found on the Nuffic website.

Can I become a lecturer next to my current job?

Depending on the vacancy, this is certainly an option. We believe it is important to provide our students with case histories from the professional practice. This is possible because some of our lecturers have and keep having recent work experience. For example, in the form of a job or running an own company.

Can I work part-time as a lecturer or researcher?

Our vacancies always clearly state whether it concerns a part-time or full-time position. The number of days you work depends on the position. This can range from teaching a single course to being a full member of the lecturer team.

Can I also work as a researcher in higher professional education?

We regularly have interesting vacancies for researchers with a master’s degree or PhD. A combination of education and research is possible. This involves practice-oriented research in which you work together with national and international partners, knowledge institutes and the business community in Zeeland.

Can I find an interesting job at HZ as a junior researcher?

We regularly have vacancies within our research groups. So keep a close eye on our vacancy page. For example, you can work as a research assistant or teaching instructor. In most cases, you need at least a university degree for this. Work experience is not always required.

Can I submit an open application?

Are there currently no relevant vacancies for you, but would you like to let us know that you are interested in a job at HZ? Then send your CV with motivation to

I want to give a guest lecture or a workshop. How do I do this?

Great! We like working with professionals from the professional field. Are you interested in providing a guest lecture or a workshop for HZ students? Please contact us on 0118 - 489 000 and ask for the study programme coordinator of the relevant study programme.