Corona FAQ

Last update: 27 January 2022

We closely follow the developments. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions with more information. The information can be adjusted when the RIVM or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs adjust their advice.

Go to:

For specific questions, go directly to FAQ for:

Education and research at HZ

What does education look like today?

On-campus and online education
As a student this academic year you will receive a combination of education at the HZ location(s) and online education. We start from on-campus activities, because education is more than knowledge transfer. It is also about getting to know others and getting to know yourself. We also want to use the positive experiences of online education where possible and appropriate. For example, we can organise lectures online and project work and social activities at the HZ.

The ratio between on-campus and online education depends on your study programme (think about the amount of practical classes) and also on the year of your study. You can find your schedule in MyHZ.

Can I work on my research at HZ?

The practice-based research by students and staff may be carried out at the location of the HZ, provided it is in accordance with the general instructions of the National Institute for Public Health and the Health Service (RIVM) and the Municipal Health Service (GGD).

Safe education and measures

Which measures apply at HZ?

The HZ does everything in its power to ensure that your visit is a safe one. Please therefore follow the rules at the HZ. In order to keep education safe, these conditions apply:

  • We ask you not to come to the HZ with coronasymptoms. This also applies if a housemate is short of breath and has a fever.
  • The by now familiar hygiene measures remain applicable. We will also communicate these in the buildings.
What measures did HZ take in the buildings?

We have taken additional hygiene measures at both locations:

  • Hand hygiene
    At various points you can disinfect your hands. Disinfectants are also available in all rooms and offices.
  • Extra cleaning rounds
    Both locations will be cleaned extra.
  • Ventilation
    The Edisonweg will be daily ventilated. Two hours before the opening of the school all windows will be opened. Also during opening hours, we ask you to keep the windows and doors open as much as possible in order to ventilate as well as possible. Het Groene Woud has a modern ventilation system. This system is switched on two hours before the opening of the building. We also adjusted the humidity of the system.

It's also possible that you may come across coronacoaches in the buildings to ensure the health of our students and staff. They help you to comply with the rules. Set a good example yourself and speak to others when necessary.

Do I have to be tested to be able to visit the HZ?

The government strongly advises students and employees to do a self-test twice a week before coming to the HZ. By doing so, you help to detect coronas infections quickly.

You can apply for self-tests via (this has been discontinued since 20 June. Self-tests can still be bought in several stores). Self-testing is a free choice and not a prerequisite for coming to the HZ.

Do I need to be vaccinated to visit the HZ?

By getting vaccinated, you can protect yourself and contribute to a safe educational environment. Vaccination is a free choice and not a prerequisite for coming to the HZ.

What if I prefer not to come to HZ?

If you do not want to come to HZ for health reasons or the fact that you are living with someone from the risk groups, please report this to your study programme coordinator (students) or manager (staff). Together you will find a solution if this is possible.

How can I best travel to HZ?

Bring your own transport as much as possible. Also make use of the (partial) bicycle if possible. HZ asks you to only use public transport for necessary trips. Educational activities that are planned at the HZ can be seen as necessary.

Wearing a non-medical mask on the bus, train, tram and metro and on the ferries is mandatory.

Health and hygiene

What can I do myself?

The most important measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are very simple:

  • Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
  • Cough and sneeze in the inside of your elbow.
  • Use tissue paper and throw it away immediately.
  • Wash or disinfect your hands after coughing or sneezing.
  • Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available.
  • Clean and disinfect regularly objects and surfaces that you touch.
  • Do not shake hands.
I have health problems, what to do?

Do you have symptoms such as a cold, cough, fever or sudden loss of smell or taste? Stay home.
Do you have a fever and/or a cough? Then your roommates and/or your family will stay home as well. Protect yourself and others and get tested. You can make an appointment via 0800-1202 or via The test is free of charge.

Report it directly to the HZ if you are suspected of corona infection and also report sick.

  • Are you a student? Report it to the study programme coordinator.
  • Are you an international student? Please also inform the international office by
  • Are you a staff member? Report it to your manager.
What should I do in case I tested positive?

Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19? Contribute to a safe UAS:

  1. Take the quarantine and instructions you receive seriously.
  2. Report it to your programme coordinator or manager a.s.a.p. Are you an international student? Please report it also to
  3. If applicable: report it to your accommodation company such as APV or Villex.
What should I do in case of quarantine?

We trust that - if necessary - you will go into (home) quarantine according to the guidelines that apply in the Netherlands. We would like to recommend you to self-quarantine on your arrival if you travel from a country or region that is listed on the government website. Even if you do not have any symptoms or if you have been tested negative, you are strongly advised to self-quarantine. You will find all instructions, recommendations on the above-mentioned website. We trust you will follow these guidelines and help us keep a safe environment at HZ.

  • Are you a student? Please inform your programme coordinator and Arrangements will be made with you about attending classes so that you do not run into unnecessary delays.
  • Are you a staffe member? Report to your manager for further coordination.
I am an international student and I need a doctor, what to do?
  • Do you have any doubts whether you should contact a GP, then call the Municipal Public Health Services (GGD). The number you can call with your questions about COVID-19 is: 0800-1351.
  • If you need a General Practitioner (GP/ family doctor): in the International Students Survival Guide you find the necessary telephone numbers. Please also inform the international office about your situation by sending an email to
Can I get a coronatest?

You can get tested to see if you are infected with coronavirus. Read more about testing for COVID-19.

Can I get a vaccination or booster in the Netherlands?

All international HZ students who are registered with the Dutch municipality authorities will be invited to get a vaccination against COVID-19 in the Netherlands. You will automatically receive this invitation via postal mail. It is therefore important that the address at which you are registered with the municipality is accurate.

Make an appointment
If you already have a DigiD, you can make an appointment via (in English) as soon as it is your age cohort’s turn. This way you do not have to wait until you receive the invitation. If you do not have Digid yet, you can apply for it here. It is also possible to make an appointment by phone, after you received the invitation via postal mail.

Vaccination location
Please note that if you make your appointment online, you may have to go to a vaccination location that is further away. If you make an appointment by phone, you can often go to a location nearby. The closest vaccination location is in Middelburg.

Do I need a BSN number to be vaccinated?
No, that is not necessary. You can also get vaccinated without a BSN number (citizen service number). You will then receive a general registration number, 999. As soon as you have received your BSN, you can apply for a Digid here. You then have to inform the GGD that your BSN needs to be changed. The International Office can help you with this. After that, you can download the app and your vaccination status in the app.

How can I get a booster?

The booster vaccination is given per year of birth. You will receive an invitation. If you keep an eye on the announcements, you can see when it is your turn for an appointment and perhaps make it a little earlier.

More information
Click here for more information on the Dutch vaccination programme.

Can I get a proof of my vaccination outside the Netherlands?

Yes, this is possible. You can find all information on the Governments website.

How is the Covid-19 situation in Middelburg and Vlissingen?

Our region Zeeland is one of the Dutch regions that is the least affected by the coronavirus. You can follow the current situation on the national site: